I was having a bite at my neighborhood Whole Foods when I glanced up and saw a greeting card carousal smack-dab in front me. It was bursting with flowy affirmations cards. Stuff like: • All
No! Please Don’t Make Me Breathe! Breathing was something I didn’t really want to do for most of my life. Not that I didn’t want to breath to stay alive but it was the breathing
Becca,I was pleased to find your website marrying cannabis and spirituality. In the last several weeks, I have had what I call a major spiritual opening on the order of one I had 30 years
Kundalini & Cannabis: The Wisdom of the Ancients
A few people introduced the ancient Indian discipline of kundalini yoga to America. The most well known is a guy affectionately known as Yogi Bhajan. He gained quite a following beginning in the tumultuous 1960s when he came over from India. (He was 75 and living in Española, New Mexico when he died in 2004.)
“Kundalini Yoga as Taught by Yogi Bhajan” is a thing today to be sure. The yoga training is even trademarked. But it’s because Yogi B wanted the meditation practices and lifestyle he introduced to the Western World to be precisely followed.
I’m a nonconformist in this respect, maybe even a black sheep as such – although I always feel welcomed and respected in the Yogi B kundalini community even though I am not a card-carrying member.
The biggest departure in my work is that I embrace the optional use of cannabis plant medicine, which is strictly against the dictates of Yogi B’s teachings. He wrote: “Smoking marijuana is the sickest thing on this planet. When you smoke it, it stimulates the brain cells and it constricts the spinal fluid, creating a drought condition in the skull.” (pg 250, The Aquarian Teacher, Level One Instructor Textbook.)
Neuroscience of Cannabis
1. Juknat A, et al. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;165(8):2512-28.
2. Pertwee R, et al. Pharmacol Rev. 2010;62(4):588-631.
3. Blankman JL, et al. Chem Biol. 2007 Dec;14(12):1347-56.
4. McCoy KL. Mediators Inflamm. 2016;2016:5831315.
5. Hampson AJ, et al. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000;899:274-82.
6. Gordon E, Devinsky O. Epilepsia. 2001 Oct;42(10):1266-72.
7. Resstel LB, et al. Br J Pharmacol. 2009 Jan;156(1):181-8.
8. Costa B, et al. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Feb 5;556(1-3):75-83.
9. Malfait AM, et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000 Aug 15;97(17):9561-6.
10. Ahn H, Park JH. Biomater Res. 2016 Nov 23;20:36.
11. Alyautdin R, et al. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014 Feb 7;9:795-811.
12. Spector AA, Yorek MA. J Lipid Res. 1985 Sep;26(9):1015-35.